Monday 21 July 2008

Dell Hell

Had to contact Dell today for some assitance with their new PowerEdge 2950 servers we have just bought. We planned to run raid6 on all 6 drives and use that both for the OS and storage.

Seemed like a good plan till I realised partitions => 2GB are not supported without efi support but more importantly grub and lilo can't boot EFI/GPT configured drives.

There however is a workaround for this in the form of a linux kernel driver for EPI support to access those big partitions called efivars and a boot manager called efibootmgr which seems like a modified version of lilo.

The kernel module required seems to be included with the currently linux kernel in RH/Centos 5.1 but the efibootmgr http://linux.dell.com/efibootmgr/ needs to be installed and the disk partioned with an EFI partition for boot at the start of the disk as outlined in http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-diskpartitioning-x86.html.

Seems simple enough but as an admin used to fdisk I could not achieve this in DiskDruid without some further instruction.

On calling Dell support I was told that support can not be given as I'm not using thier OEM RH 5.1 CD and rather a downloaded version without their branding which would have no effect on issues I could face yet they still leave me unsupported!! After explaining for 10 minutes the situation did not change, and asking to speak to a supervisor resulted in the original operator rejoining the conversation to re iterate how Dell support will not help to resolve this issue and ending the conversation in a manner that led me to believe that was the last I'd hear from Dell.

However, today just as I had finished cussing Dell support I had a phonecall from a knowledgable chap with an Irish accent who talked me through possible options and one I was not aware of before. Raid on the raid controller supplied with the PE 2950 can be configured to create virtual disks on the raid arrays and unlike I had guessed you can have more than one of these per raid array so it's possible to create a small virtual disk that grub/lilo can boot and still use one raid6 array so no space is wasted :)

Just wanted to add the first support op who I spoke to called me back yesterday to confirm my resolution was successful. I'm still not clear if I miss understood the original operator and I was to be helped he just wasn't positive I'd get the support I needed as other customers haven't had success or if my call was listened to and a different action to the usual decided on since I presented myself as a very influential client.

No comments: